This book offers information central to understanding the latest research and practices related to training theory while providing scientific support for the fundamental principles of periodization.
This definitive text presents a comprehensive discussion of periodization based on the philosophy of Tudor Bompa. It features the following:
- A review of the history, terms, and theories related to periodization
- Discussion of the importance of designing a sport-specific and competition-level annual plan and discarding any one-size-fits-all approach
- An expanded chapter on the integration of biomotor abilities within the training process
- Comprehensive updates to the information on training sessions, microcycles, and macrocycles
- An expanded chapter on the methods for developing muscle strength, including manipulation of loading variables and the conversion to specific strength
- A more detailed explanation of speed and agility training, differentiating between individual and team sports
In addition to applying periodization models to resistance training, Periodization also discusses sport-specific endurance. You’ll be introduced to different methods of testing and developing endurance, including the physiological basis for each method.